“One of my colleagues in Toronto has been using the keen nose of a dog in the fight against mold.”
Our past clients who were affected by mold often reported feeling very unwell but their doctors were not always able to find any underlying illness. They’ve experienced repeated: headaches, breathing difficulties, respiratory infections, excessive coughing, dizziness, confusion and tiredness.
As a seasoned home and property inspector, I’ve found that mold can be quite tricky to detect without the proper equipment. Certain forms of mold are odorless and can grow unseen for years. Home owners and renters are often are completely unaware until they get sick.
At Duxbury & Associates we take indoor air quality very seriously. We encourage home owners to get their air quality checked to ensure their well-being and that their family’s health is protected. We work closely with an experienced mold technician who offers scientific lab-testing with collecting air samples which are then sealed, recorded for quality-control and couriered to the lab. A comprehensive report which determines the potential mold toxicity and recommends actions to improve air quality is then provided. These reports have been used as evidence in legal and other cases where air quality was in dispute.
QUESTION? If we have mold… can’t we just kill it with bleach?
ANSWER: NO, killing mold is not recommended by leading industry experts. Bleach can actually be more harmful than the mold you are fighting! Even if you can ‘kill’ mold, “hibernating” spores can become just as toxic as when it was living and can be easily re-activated with sufficient moisture in your home. Mold does not behave the same way as bacteria and killing it should not be mistaken as clean-up or removal.
QUESTION? If we have mold on drywall why don’t we just tear it out?
Do we really need a professional inspection and renovation?
ANSWER: YES, mold growing on drywall, is often an indicator of a more serious mold issue inside the wall. Disturbed mold spreads so if the wall is opened without protecting the rest of the area from traveling mold spores, you may be making the problem worse and more expensive to fix.